Wednesday, February 01, 2006

It's Hard To Take Courage

"we speak in Christ, as from God and before God" - St. Paul

In a world full of people it's easy to lose sight of Him. Not long ago I was at what some call the "greatest auto show on earth." I was in Detroit, Motor City viewing the latest and the greatest the auto world had to offer. The lights were bright, the cars sparkled and coreographed models showcased the next best thing to hit the car lot. The glitz and the glare, bright lights, big city. This does not feel like the desert. I felt like a child again amidst the mob of people. There was no place one could go where people were not. The frightful thing was that I was afraid I would lose him. My dad that is. The engineer who has worked in the industry most of his life. At first I thought "no problem," I'll just call him on my cell if we get separated. Then I realized I hadn't brought it with me. I made every effort to keep him in my sights amidst the mass of people.

The desert can become like a crowded house. The air is stale and the oppressive walls close in around you. It is imperative that the wanderer get a breath of fresh air. Check the north star to be sure his bearings are right. You must always keep Him in your sights. For you are without doubt in His. Our words must always be spoken with HIm in mind. For it is not our voice which the masses need to hear, but His. It is not as if we can borrow His voice. Rather it is embedded in us. A compelling spirit moves us to utter words not our own. At times there is a violence to it, such as when Jacob wrestled before the face of God. We fight for a blessing only to offer it up as a sacrifice upon the altar of proclamation. Its aroma rising, having passed amongst the people to the One who pauses from the balcony as if anticipating the echo. The best sanctuaries always have great acoustics. So take courage and breathe deeply for in the end we preach for an audience of one. Sola Fide, WHB

No comments: